According to ESPN’s Adam Schefter, Detroit Lions wide receiver Calvin Johnson told his family as well as head coach Jim Caldwell that 2015 would be his last year.
Calvin Johnson told family 2015 would be his final year and delivered same message to Jim Caldwell after season ended, sources told ESPN.
— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) January 31, 2016
After the regular NFL season came to a close, Johnson hinted that he may be planning to retire according to a press release issued by the Lions.
“Like many players at this stage of their career, I am currently evaluating options for my future. I would expect to have a decision on this matter in the not-so-distant future.”
Per Schefter, the Lions are still hoping that Johnson might have a change of heart. Though a source of Johnson’s said “He’s pretty content with his decision.”
Johnson who turns 31 in September, is still under contract with the Lions through 2016. But with long-term health being a concern, Johnson’s decision to hang up his cleats doesn’t come as too much of a surprise. Various injuries have nagged at Johnson for the past couple of seasons.
Over the course of his illustrious nine-year career, Johnson tallied a franchise-leading 11,619 yards and 84 touchdowns. Plus Megatron set career-highs when he posted 122 catches for 1,964 yards in 2012 and caught 16 touchdowns in 2011. It’s no wonder he was a first-round fantasy draft pick during this peak in his career.
A fan-favorite, Johnson will leave behind some big shoes to fill in Detroit next season.